Tuesday 13 September 2011

Smoking Ape Reality Break

As the news of Andy Whitfield's sad death from lymphoma settles over me there's only one thing  that could cheer me up even a little bit (next to Ryan Reynolds being beaten to death with baby Hitler).  And that's a smoking ape!  At the Malaysian zoo in Johor Bahru an orangutang named Shirley has been known to enjoy smoking a cigarette or two in her enclosure.


In this photo taken Monday, Jan. 25, 2010, an orangutan, called Shirley, smokes at Johor Zoo in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. The captive orangutan often spotted smoking cigarettes given to her by zoo visitors is being forced to kick the habit, a Malaysian wildlife official said Monday, Sept. 12, 2011. Government authorities seized the adult ape from the state-run zoo last week after she and several other animals there were deemed to be living in poor conditions. Shirley is now being quarantined at another zoo in a neighboring state and is expected to be sent to a Malaysian wildlife center on Borneo island within weeks. (AP Photo)
 Up yours, I'm on my break


First of all I love the ideas of apes smoking cigarettes, but apparently I'm the only one since her handlers want her to quit for her health.  Ah yes, smoking bad, imprisoned in a tiny habitat good.  So far they say that she's handling the lack of smoking well with limited mood swings or acts of rage.  "Yay, less of a habit that I enjoy PLUS a longer life in which to experience my Malaysian prison!  Sure makes me glad I grabbed the banana under that net." she was probably overheard saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment